Advent Calendar with Acts of Kindness
Date: 07 Dec 2016
When I was a child, my mother had a fantastic trick to motivate me and my brother to get ready for school when we didn’t really want to go as we were too excited for Christmas! Our mum created us enough advent calendars to get us ready and out the door to get to school.
This year with my own daughter I decided to focus on the fact that Christmas is not just all about TV, food and presents, but also about spending quality time together as a family and teaching her about kindness and friendship.
I have been searching for inspirations online and the Act of Kindness Advent Calendars really stood out to me. So, I have put together quick step & step guide if you want to embrace the true spirit of Christmas.
How to make
- Choose a festive image and paste it in to a word document.
- ‘Draw’ 24 boxes.
- Print out and ask child to help you to cut windows (if appropriate).
- Alternatively you can ask your child to draw or paint their own image
- Print various images for your different acts of kindness. For inspiration see the list below, but feel free to make up your own that are suitable for your family.
- Make sure the size will fit your calendar windows.
- Stick them on the sheet and glue both papers together
- Enjoy opening each window each day and encouraging your children to share random acts of kindness in the run up to Christmas!
Ideas of acts of kindness:
Skype or call grandparents (if they live far away)
Bake gingerbread men for a friend
Help mum a dad around the house
Smile at stranger
Make a box with donations for a local homeless charity
Write a card for your friends
Draw a picture for a local care home
Donate some toys to Women’s Aid or Refuge
Take some food to a local Food Bank
Share a hug with someone
Make somebody laugh
Take supplies to an animal shelter
Pick up litter
Let someone go ahead of you in a queue
Sing Christmas carols for your neighbours
Hold the door open for someone
Tell someone in your family that you love them
Leave a treat for your postmen or dustmen