Diversity in our nurseries - how we cater for all
Date: 13 Jul 2016
The upcoming Paralympic Games will help to encourage disabled people’s participation in sport and significantly transform disabled people’s lives, ultimately leading to a more inclusive society for everyone to live in.
At Bright Horizons equal opportunity and inclusion is at the heart of all that we do. The Bright Horizons community is a vibrant tapestry of children, families, and employees who represent myriad cultures, backgrounds, and experiences. As leaders in our field we are committed to continuous improvement and evaluating what we do to help us provide the best possible care. We challenge ourselves to ask questions, seek solutions and embrace new ideas, and we are actively committed to valuing individuals and to inclusion.
We aim to foster positive attitudes throughout everyday learning activities and experiences by:
• Using a wide range of resources
• Supporting children for whom English is an additional language
• Challenging Bias and Discrimination
• Providing clear direction for staff and children from senior managers
• Developing and nurturing strong relationships with parents, carers and outside agencies including other childcare settings
• Having a nominated special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCo) who will attend appropriate training and be available to offer support and advice at each nursery
• Requesting additional relevant training when a need is identified
• Regularly reviewing and evaluating our work
• Regular meetings and updates to ensure continuity of care and objectives are met and cascaded to all staffThe observation assessment and tracking of all children is an integral aspect of our work in relation to planning for children’s development and learning. Where a concern is raised about a child’s learning and development and they are identified by the parent/carers, a specialist agency or through the observations and assessment of staff as having special educational needs, Bright Horizons will follow the Department for Education (DfE) Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 -25 on the Identification and Assessment of Special Educational Needs.