How this supports knowledge and development:
- Adding new describing words to your child's vocabulary.
- Learning to identify the animals and imitate the sounds.
- Making simple sentences and talking in greater detail about sounds.
You Will Need
- Animal figures or cut out pictures of animals
- Set up a model farmyard.
- Describe one of the animals but do not tell your child its name.
- Say, for example: ‘’This animal has horns, four legs and a tail’’.
- Ask them to guess which animal it is.
- Ask them to make the noise the animal might make.
- When they are familiar with the game, let your child describe the animal while you guess.
Extend the Activity
This activity can be repeated with other sets of objects such as zoo animals, toy sets based on transport (e.g. aeroplane, car, train, bus, boat) and musical instruments. It can be made more challenging by introducing sets of random objects to describe and name.
Download and Keep