A fun and interesting way to cool down our bodies after exercising as well as highlighting the importance.
You will need:
• An open, quiet space where you will not bump into anything
Doing the activity:
Before starting to warm up take a big deep breath in and out and repeat this twice.
• Reach for the sky – children to stretch one arm up to the sky then stretch the other arm up to the sky.
• Touch your toes – stand with feet apart and slightly bent knees, lean forwards and try to touch your toes.
• Windmills – stretch arms out to the side and circle arms gently forwards and backwards – repeat in larger circles.
• Shoulder roll – roll your shoulders forwards and then backwards – repeat 3 times.
• Roll your ankles – stand on one leg and roll your right ankle in a circle 5 times, then repeat with your left ankle.
To complete the cooling down take a big deep breath in and out and repeat three times. Why not try cooling down using a nursery rhyme such as The Grand Old Duke of York.
WHY WE COOL DOWN - Just as a warm-up prepares your body for exercise, the cool down helps your body return to a state of rest. The cool down relaxes your muscles and lowers your heart rate and breathing from the exercise that you have been doing.
TOP TIP - Ensure that you take deep breaths to help reduce your heart rate after exercise. A cool down should last between three and ten minutes and include slower, gentle movements and stretching exercises. It is recommended breathing in for 4 seconds and out for 4 seconds to fully complete your cool down regime. Once completed you should be able to feel your heart rate return to normal.