50g Red Pepper
75g Button Mushrooms
120g Red Split Lentils
1 Clove of Garlic
1tsp Mixed Herbs
400g Chopped Tomatoes
25g Tomato Puree
25g Plain Flour
500ml Semi Skimmed Milk
10ml Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat oven to 200 ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4.
2. Peel, chop and boil potatoes in unsalted water until starting to turn soft.
3. Place lentils in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Drizzle the aubergine slices with oil and soften in the oven.
5. Fry the diced onion, peppers, washed mushrooms and garlic until soft.
6. Fold in the tomatoes and mixed herbs. Season to taste.
7. Add the drained lentils.
8. Make the white sauce using the margarine, flour and milk.
9. Drain potatoes and slice.
10. Put half the lentil and vegetable mixture in the bottom of dish, layer with potato, softened aubergine and white sauce.
11. Repeat finishing with a topping of white sauce.
12. Cook in a oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until cooked throughout.13. Serve