Poached Pears and Custard
27g Granulated Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Flavouring
1 Cinnamon Stick
Pinch Ground Ginger
150g Seedless Raisins
500ml Whole Milk
50g Custard Powder
50g Granulated Sugar
1. Peel and halve pears remove stem and core.
2. Heat sugar and water in a large saucepan.
3. Add vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger.
4. Lay pears in the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes turning once.
5. Remove from heat, add raisins and let fruit cool.
Making the custard
1. Mix a little of the milk and all of the custard powder in a bowl until it forms a smooth paste consistency.
2. Heat the rest of the milk in a saucepan until hot, then pour over the custard powder and mix well.
3. Return to the pan to the heat with the custard mixture in and stir continuously to avoid lumps forming.
4. When the mixture starts boiling, slightly lower the heat.
5. Continue to stir until the custard thickens.
6. Then serve hot with accompanying dish.
NB Canned pears in natural juice can be used for large numbers- use juice and hot water to poach.
Sultanas can be used instead of raisins