2kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
500ml boiling water (or 250ml boiling water and 250ml apple juice)
1 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp cold water
400g frozen peas
½ vegetable stock cube
Splash of milk
Knob of butter
Splash of vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Start by putting the potatoes into a large pan topped with cold water, put on a high heat to bring to the boil, then simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Brown the sausages in a large frying pan, place on a baking tray then transfer to the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- To make the gravy, pour the fat out of the frying pan (don’t wipe), cook the onions and apples on a medium heat until golden. Add the vinegar to prevent them from burning. Then pour in the water (and apple juice if desired) plus the stock cube, and bring to the boil.
- Mix the flour with the cold water and add to the gravy slowly, mixing all the time. Simmer gently until there are no more lumps.
- In a small pan, bring some water to the boil and cook the peas.
- When the potatoes are cooked, mash them up with butter and milk. Serve and enjoy.