Salmon and Broccoli Pasta Au Gratin
400g Pink Salmon
100g Mild White Cheddar
2 Slices Wholemeal Bread
50g Plain Flour
600ml Semi Skimmed Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan or gas mark 5.
2. Wash, trim and slice the leek into fine rings.
3. Wash the broccoli then cut it into small florets. Chop the tender parts of the stalk into small pieces and add to the florets.
4. Drain the can of salmon and break the fish into chunks, removing any large bones and mashing any small ones with a fork.
5. Grate the cheese and make the slice of bread into breadcrumbs.
6. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water according to the instructions on the pack.
7. Steam the broccoli for about 5 minutes or until just tender, or add the broccoli to the pasta 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
8. Drain using a colander, reserving a little of the cooking liquid, and put into a large ovenproof dish together with the broccoli.
9. Melt the spread in the medium saucepan on a medium heat and add the leek.
10. Stir until sizzling then reduce the heat and cook gently for 3–4 minutes until soft.
11. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the flour. Cook over a low heat for 1 minute then gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth.
12. Stir continuously until the sauce is simmering. Allow to bubble for 2 minutes and season with black pepper.
13. Take the sauce off the heat and add half the cheese. Stir until melted then add to the pasta together with the salmon (and broccoli if not added earlier). Gently mix together.
14. Put into oven-proof dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the pasta followed by the remaining cheese.
15. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until bubbling.