1 medium onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
250g arborio risotto rice
1 litre hot chicken stock
75g frozen peas
100g ham chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried mint
Pepper to season
Grated cheese (parmesan / cheddar)
Optional — zest and juice of half a lemon
1. Melt butter in large pan on a medium heat.
2. Add onion and soften for 2 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook for further 2 minutes.
4. Add rice and fry with onion and garlic for 1 minute.
5. Add a third of the hot stock to cover rice and cook, stirring contantly, until liquid has absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock in two further steps.
6. Add peas, ham, herbs and seasoning and cook for further 3 — 5 minutes (until peas are cooked).
6. Optional — remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and juice.
7. Ladle into dishes, top with grated cheese and serve with crusty bread — or bread without crust for the wee ones! And enjoy.
8. Variations: mushroom and ham, pea and chicken, chicken and sweetcorn.