4-5 baking potatoes
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup butter, plus additional for topping
1 large egg
2 large yellow bell peppers, cut in half and cleaned
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6/400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Peel and quarter potatoes and place in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until extremely tender (time will vary by size of the potatoes, but expect to cook them for at least 20 minutes). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add the butter and salt and pepper to taste, and mash the potatoes well. Allow mixture to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Mash in the egg and beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon until potatoes are smooth.
4. Transfer potatoes to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe potatoes onto baking sheet in descending peaks to form Christmas trees. Brush gently with additional melted butter, if you can do it without crushing the trees.
5. While the potatoes are baking, use a sharp paring knife to cut small stars out of the yellow bell pepper.
6. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Place a star on top of each "tree" and serve hot.