200g White Cabbage
400g Turkey Mince
100g White Onions
50g Tomato Paste
400g Chopped Tomatoes
Pinch of Black Pepper
20g Button Mushrooms
1 Bay Leaf
1 Medium Egg
1. Wash all the vegetables.
2. Remove the centre core from the cabbage.
3. Finely chop the onion and slice the mushrooms, peel and slice the carrots lengthways.
4. Part boil the cabbage in a large pot, removing the leaves as they fall off into the water and are tender.
5. Cook till all the leaves are tender, but not ripping apart approximately 15 minutes.
6. Run under cold water and drain.
7. Cut the thick membrane off the back of each leaf.
8. While the cabbage is cooking sauté the onion in butter until lightly browned.
9. Cook the rice per the manufacturer’s instructions, drain once cooked.
10. Put all the meat into a large mixing bowl and add an egg and the sautéed onions, pepper, parsley and cooked rice. Mix thoroughly.
14. Lay out the leaves and depending upon their size, place 2-3 tablespoons of meat mixture on the wide side.
15. Roll the leaf up and over the meat, tuck in the side of the leaf and repeat steps to use all the leaves
16. Place rolls, seam down into a greased roasting pan, then layer carrots and mushrooms over the cabbage.
18. Mix together the tomato paste, canned tomatoes and water, then pour evenly over all the rolls.
19. Add the bay leaves.
20. Cover the roasting tin with tin foil and then cook for 2-2 1/2 hours.
21. Half way through baking check to make sure there is enough liquid additional water can be added if necessary.
22. To serve, spoon sauce over rolls.