200gsifted plain flour
40g golden caster sugar
125g unsalted diced butter
1 egg, beaten
a splash of milk (for glazing)
1. Lightly butter a 12-hole pie tin. Stir the mincemeat in a bowl.
2. Mix the butter, sugar, flour and almonds until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, and then stir in the egg.
3. Bring the mixture together, and chill for about an hour (wrapped in cling film). Roll out the pastry thinly (use flour to stop it sticking to the surface), then cut out 12 circles with a pastry cutter (make sure they are big enough to cover the base of your tin). Press gently into each hole before filling in with mincemeat.
4. Cut out another 12 circles to place on top of the mincemeat and press the edges together to seal the pies.Cut a small slit in the top of each and then glaze lightly with milk. Preheat your oven to 200°c/400°f/Gas Mark 6, whilst your pies chill for 30 minutes.
5. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Once ready, allow to cool slightly on a wire rack and serve warm.