Fruity Rock Cakes
200g Self Raising Flour
25g Caster Sugar
100g Dried Mixed Fruit
1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
1 Medium Egg
30ml Semi Skimmed Milk
You can also use 50g of dried cranberries, 50g of sultanas and the zest of an orange instead of mixed dried fruit.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan or gas mark 4.
2. Line the baking tray with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
3. Sift the flour into the large mixing bowl and add the spread. Rub in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add the sugar, dried fruit and mixed spice or nutmeg and mix together.
5. Crack the egg (using the back of a table knife) into a small bowl. Whisk with a fork, add the milk and whisk again. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix together until it makes a soft dough.
6. Divide the mixture into 12 rough mounds and place them on the baking tray with space between them as they will spread as they bake. Sprinkle each with demerara sugar.
7. Cook for 15–20 minutes until golden brown on top. Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.