Curried Parsnip Soup with Parsnip Crisps and Naan Bread
600g parsnips, peeled
200g potatoes, chopped
200g carrot, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp turmeric
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
500ml vegetable stock
Knob of butter
Olive oil2 large naan breads
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Take 200g of the peeled parsnips and using a peeler, make long ribbons of parsnip. Coat in a little oil and place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven.
- Cook until the turn golden brown. They will appear soggy when you take them out of the oven, but will become crispy when cooled.
- Chop the remaining parsnips.
- Put a large pan on a medium heat, melt the butter and cook the onion until soft. Add all the chopped vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add in the spices and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes until all of the vegetables are soft.
- Using a hand blender, blend until you get a smooth texture, adding more stock if required.
- Finish with a handful of chopped coriander, lightly toast the naan breads and scatter the parsnip crisps over each bowl and serve.