1tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
100g White Onion
2 Fresh Carrots
3 Sticks of Celery
1 Clove of Fresh Garlic
120g Red Lentils
150g Button Mushrooms
1tbsp Fresh Parsley
100g Wholemeal Flour
50g Porridge Oats
50g Mild White Cheddar
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion, carrot and celery gently for 10 minutes until softened.
2. Add the garlic, lentils, Worcestershire sauce and water and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the mushroom filling. Melt the margarine in a pan and fry mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add the remaining garlic and the parsley. Mix well.
4. Place half the lentil mixture in an oiled, shallow, ovenproof dish. Spread the mushroom mixture over the top and cover with the remaining lentil mixture.
5. Place the wholemeal flour and margarine in a bowl and rub until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
6. Add the porridge oats and cheese. Sprinkle this topping over the lentils and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.