2 cups of grated cheese (mature cheddar works well)
1 & a half cups self raising flour
1 tbsp sugar
Pinch of paprika or mustard powder
1 cup milk
Optional extras — 1 tsp fresh chopped herbs, or half a tsp dried herbs; 2 oz chopped roasted
vegetables (or drained anti pasti), well drained tinned sweetcorn or chopped cooked bacon.
1. Mix egg and milk in a jug or cup.
2. Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine the ingredients (add the optional extras too, if you’re using them).
3. Add the egg and milk and fold in gently (the mixture is supposed to be lumpy!)
4. Spoon mixture into a greased muffin tin (or into 12 muffin cases in a muffin tin.)
5. Bake at 200°C/Gas 6 for 12-15 mins until firm and golden brown.
6. Suitable for freezing.
Tip — these muffins do tend to stick to muffin cases, especially when still warm. If you want to avoid this, just spoon the mixture into a well greased muffin pan instead. Once cooked, allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then remove from the tin.