400g mince beef or vegetarian alternative
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp crushed garlic
400g tinned tomatoes
2 carrots, diced
200g button mushrooms, halved
1 large onion, sliced
1 beef or vegetable stock cube
200ml boiling water for stock
2kg potatoes, peeled and diced
50ml full fat milk or cream
Knob of butter
Pinch of black pepper
Small handful of chopped parsley
- Cover the potatoes with cold water in a large pan, put the lid on and put on a high heat. Boil for about 15-20 minutes until cooked.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the mince and cook on a medium to high heat.
- Once the mince has browned, turn down to a medium to low heat, add the paprika, garlic and tomato purée and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the carrots, tinned tomatoes, water and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, add mushrooms and cook for another 10 minutes. Check that the carrots are cooked through, season with black pepper to taste and add the chopped parsley.
- When the potatoes are cooked, mash with a potato masher. Add milk or cream and putter, pinch of black pepper to taste and then serve with the goulash.