National Random Acts of Kindness Day
Date: 14 Feb 2020
We love the idea of a day dedicated to doing random acts of kindness! This is a lovely day to celebrate as well as to spread the feeling of good will.
Why not share the concept with your child of how treating people the way you would like to be treated can make a lot of difference to someone, and also that sometimes people have sad days, so we have the power to help them feel better. It’s all about the fact that being friendly and polite is just the nicest way to be.
We think that it is very important to demonstrate to children how to act and have provided some key ideas in order to encourage kind attitudes and behaviours.
8 ideas to do with your child for Random Acts of Kindness Day:
- Make a thank you card to a carer (for example their key person at nursery) or family member who looks after them.
- Make a donation to a food bank. Do this as an activity together with your child and let them choose the canned goods to donate.
- Go through their toys and donate any unwanted ones to places like the children’s ward at your local hospital or local children’s refuge.
- Talk to your child about the benefits of being kind and what this means to them.Ask them to suggest an act of kindness they can do.
- Visit a relative together that you have not seen for a while.
- Smile and say hello to a person in passing.
- Pick up litter in a local public area, such as your local park.
- Let a sibling choose what to watch on TV.
8 ideas for you to do:
- Bring some treats in to work for your colleagues.
- Let someone go in front of you in a queue.
- Give a stranger a compliment.
- Help a child or older person to cross the street.
- Donate some old or unworn clothes to a charity.
- Run an errand for someone in need, like an elderly neighbour or family member.
- Hide a love note for your partner to find.
- Offer to look after a friend’s child to give them some free time.
Scientific studies have shown that being kind can have many health benefits as well making a difference to someone else. So why not undertake a random act of kindness and enjoy seeing the smiles on people’s faces!