Keeping Everyone Safe this Family Safety Week
Date: 23 Apr 2018
Family Safety Week, which commences this year on April 23rd, focuses on the causes and prevention of accidents. Accidents are the biggest killer of children and young people, so with this in mind RoSPA (The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) shines a spotlight on the simple things that you can do to help keep your little ones safe. The theme for this year is Brighter Beginnings which will focus on the following topics:
- Household poisons
- Bath time (drowning, scalds)
- Bedtime (strangulation)
‘Keeping Everyone Safe’ is our number one priority and company value. Our health and safety super hero, Candyfloss, helps children understand how they can stay safe and help each other stay safe too. Keep an eye out on our social media pages to see what our nurseries are getting up to this Family Safety Week and see if you can spot Candyfloss! In the meantime, have a read through some top tips for keeping everyone safe:
- Safe bath times – Run the cold water first and then add the hot. Stay within arms’ reach.
- Safe bedtimes – Keep nappy sacks out of reach. Fasten looped blind cords out of reach. Keep cots clutter free.
- Tips to stop falls – Keep stairs clear of clutter. Use a 5-point harness to strap babies into highchairs. Fit safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs. Change nappies on the floor. Fit window restrictors above the ground floor.
- Tips to stop choking – Cut small foods like tomatoes, grapes and blackberries into quarters.
- Storing high – Have a safe place in your home to store things that could harm your child. Keep medicines, cleaning products, button batteries etc… out of sight and out of reach.